Seared Bison Salad
With less fat and cholesterol than beef, bison’s flank steak is the perfect choice to add to a healthy salad. Flavorful and moist, it complements a salad’s raw ingredients.
- Prep Time:
- 5 Minutes
- Cook Time:
- 10 Minutes
- 1 tbsp. Dijon mustard for the vinaigrette
- 1 tsp. light brown sugar for the vinaigrette
- 1/2 tsp. salt for the vinaigrette
- 1/4 tsp. pepper for the vinaigrette
- 2 tbsp. red wine vinegar for the vinaigrette
- 1/4 tsp. Worcestershire sauce for the vinaigrette
- 1/3 cup olive oil for the vinaigrette
- 1 tbsp. olive oil for the salad
- 2 pounds flank steak for the salad
- 1 tsp. salt for the salad
- 1/2 tsp. black pepper for the salad
- 1 lb baby arugula for the salad
- 3 cups cherry tomatoes, halved, for the salad
- 1/2 red onion, thinly sliced, for the salad
- 3/4 cup crumbled blue cheese for the salad
- 3 tbsp. minced chives for the salad
For the vinaigrette
- In a small bowl, whisk together all of the vinaigrette ingredients. Set aside until ready to use.
For the salad
- Heat the oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Pat the steaks dry, and season with salt and pepper. When the oil is hot, place the steaks in the skillet and sear until brown, about 5 minutes. Flip over and cook for another 3 minutes for medium-rare. Cook the steak in batches depending on the size of your skillet. Transfer meat to cutting board and let rest for 5 minutes.
- Once the meat has rested, thinly slice the steaks on a diagonal against the grain of the meat. In a large bowl, mix together the arugula, tomato halves, red onion, and blue cheese. Pour dressing over salad and toss to combine. Transfer to serving plates and top with sliced steak and chives.