Fly to the Moon Bison Chili
Launch your taste buds into orbit with this chili blending beans, mushrooms, and ground bison. Oh, and did we mention the peppers and garlic? (It may take awhile for your feet to hit the ground after the first spoonful!)
- Prep Time:
- 25 Minutes
- Cook Time:
- 1.5 Hours
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 2 lbs. of pure, lean ground bison (fresh or fully thawed)
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 jalapeno peppers, seeded and chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 2 cups chopped fresh mushrooms
- 1 20 oz. can tomatoes
- 1/3 cup chili powder
- 1 tbsp. ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp. ground chipotle pepper
- 1/4 tsp. cinnamon
- 1 1/5 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. coarse ground pepper
- 1/2 tsp. cayenne
- 2 cups beef broth
- 1 (15 oz.) can of red kidney beans (drained)
- 1 (15 oz.) can of black beans (drained)
- In a large deep pot, over medium high heat, sauté bison until fully cooked through (there should be NO pink showing).
- Add onion and sauté for 5 minutes.
- Add garlic and sauté for 1 minute more.
- Add all remaining ingredients, except the beans, and bring the mixture to a boil.
- Reduce and simmer for one hour, stirring occasionally.
- Add the beans and cook for 15 minutes more.